Friday, October 12, 2012

Cancer Saga, part 2

I've finished my first chemo treatment for this round.  Only two days at the infusion center, and the second day was just a couple of hours.  I didn't get nauseous, and the Dexamethasone didn't give me the jitters or keep me awake like it did last time. The dose is much less this time.  I haven't had any "Shedding" yet, either, as Jay Lake likes to refer to one of the other lovely side effects of chemo.  I'm just really fatigued, achy, and feeling a little down.  It's harder to keep the morale up when the fatigue sets in.

Diet is fun during chemo.  I love fresh fruits and vegetables, and sushi is one of my favorite foods - nigiri sushi, with raw fish.  But I shouldn't have those things while my immune system is vulnerable.  And then there are the people.  I have to avoid people.  They have germs.  When I go to work on the bus I'll be wearing a mask and gloves to protect me from other people's germs.  If my co-workers have colds, I'll probably work from home.

But all of the above is still better than being in the hospital a week out of every month, and having to take injections to increase my white blood count.  I can work.  I can watch television.  I can drive, at least some of the time.  I spent a lot of my first day of chemo studying my Chinese textbook.  I wouldn't have been able to do that the first time through treatment.

That doesn't mean this is going to be super-easy.  Just about the time I start to feel pretty good and back to normal, I'll have to have another treatment.  But this time I won't miss OryCon.  I've attended OryCon every year since 1990, except for 2003, when I missed it due to chemo.  This time my next chemo session isn't until after the convention, so I should be able to attend.  That makes me happy.  It's a tradition, and this year my honey is a program participant so I want to be there to support him.  I'll just have to support him while wearing a mask to avoid the germs.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment