Monday, May 18, 2020

[Pathfinder] Kingmaker Redux, part 11: A Country Is Born

Note: This week's session was primarily kingdom-building rather than roleplay and covered a time period of six months in-game, hence this post in the form of a letter from Lythande to her family rather than her customary journal entry.

To Ariyon Telvannen, Iranel Lyraen, Elanthir Sylvanas
Nation of Kyonin 
City of Iadara 
Quarter Moon District 
Street of Silver 
House of the Singing Tree 

Oathday, 12th Abadius, 4711 of the Common Era

Dearest Mother and Father and my beloved brother -

I pray that this missive finds you well. I am well. I write to you now from the small nation we have chosen to name Neotellus, from our capital of Lorewynd on the shore of the Tuskwater where the Shrike River flows into the lake. It is unlike our family's home in Iadara, but I am proud to have been a part of its creation. 

When I first chose to make my way to Restov to learn more of the opportunity to explore the lands known as the Greenbelt, I did not foresee that my comrades and I should in a year's time be attempting to create a new nation there. The initial writ we received from the Swordlords of Restov spoke of no such matter. It was only after we had eliminated a band of brigands that we were granted a writ to claim this land for ourselves, not as settlers but as the leaders of its governing body. 

My new friends have expressed much surprise and not a little dismay that a full year has passed since we first met in the city of Restov. It is curious to me to observe the passage of time through their eyes, for a year is of much greater significance to them. 

For the past half-year we have been much occupied by the tasks of organizing this land and creating all of what is necessary to support the settlers who have come here. Among the many tasks we have completed here, we removed the threat of the bandits, made peace with a clan of kobolds and helped them rid themselves of a sinister mage who thought to usurp their chieftain, slew many dangerous beasts, helped a priest of the god Erastil to restore a lost and ruined shrine, and assisted a spirit of a deceased man to pass on to his proper afterlife. We were also obliged to destroy a dozen undead abominations that occupied the hillside upon which we sought to construct our fort. Praise the Dawnflower for granting me the power to harm them with her divine might. 

From the time we were granted our writ of claimancy we have constructed our own fort, brought merchants and craftsmen to Lorewynd, and created a militia to defend the citizens. There are now farms in the Greenbelt, though not so many yet as to bring a surplus of crops. This troubled us some months ago when the crops were poor. 

We have also suffered from several attacks by local monstrous creatures upon our citizenry, and a period of disease swept through our small community. Despite these travails our community has survived. We have the good fortune to lie beside both the Shrike River and the lake called the Tuskwater. The forests of the Narlmarches are not far from us to provide lumber and game, though we have yet to fully explore those woods. There are minerals to be mined here as well. The land is rich in resources to support us.

It had never been my intent to become a leader of any community or organization. I am acting only as an advisor to my friend, Chahana Surtova, who has become the leader though we have yet to decide upon the final form our governing body shall take or what title she will bear. My friend Reislin Aleglosa, who is of our own kindred, has become the treasurer and is ably managing our funds. Maria Zatana and Zander Aldori are seeing to the security of this new nation. 

We must acknowledge that as we grow more prosperous neighboring nations may seek to take our territory from us or exert their influence over us. We must also decide whether we owe our allegiance to Brevoy as it was they who gave us the writ to claim Neotellus. 

As I have said this was not what I sought to do when first I journeyed to Restov, but now that we have made this choice I shall make it my duty to care for the people of Neotellus to the best I am able as a part of my oath to the Dawnflower. 

Neotellus is small and not wealthy nor sophisticated, but should you wish to make the journey northward to visit and perform for the people here we should be be glad to have you. I would be happy to receive you and enjoy your company. 

My love and honor to you, Mother and Father. Blessings of Nethys and Desna to you, and Sarenrae also. 

Your daughter, Lythande Syldorei
The Greenbelt
Nation of Neotellus
City of Lorewynd
Beside the Shrike River at the Tuskwater

Next: part 12, Monster Trouble

No comments:

Post a Comment