Monday, July 19, 2021

[Pathfinder] Wrath of the Righteous, part 61: Return to the Marchlands

 


Asami

When we had recovered from fighting the demons, we left Eagle Rock behind us and returned to Drezen for two nights to restore ourselves. Some of my companions have ordered items to be made for them by the artificer who was engaged by Horgus Gwerm for that purpose. I inscribed two new spells into my spellbook from the book that Aravashnial gave me.

Aravashnial (NPC)

Two days later we set out once more into the Marchlands, turning our faces toward the lake that lies northward of the lava field where we visited Delamere's tomb. We were marching along through the waste beneath the Worldwound's perpetual heavy dark sky when a winged beast came swooping down upon us with such speed that I was unaware of its approach until I heard the beat of its wings directly over my head.

It was one of the drake riders we had heard were patrolling the area, though we ourselves had not encountered one before. I recognized this was a rift drake, a variety of drake found in this region, and its rider was an incubus. The incubus carried a lance, which he plunged into Zosta's flesh as it was she who was at the forefront of our party.

Drake rider

The lance dealt her such a grievous blow that she was immediately plunged into unconsciousness. Zero immediately began to recite a stirring tale to bolster our resolve, and Runa ran to Zosta's side to heal her wound. Jiro hurled a swarm of dragonflies at the incubus. Runa's healing brought Zosta back to her feet and she sprang at the drake, but the rider had his mount swerve out of her reach. I then hurled my spear at the drake and it pierced the beast's scaly hide before returning to my hand.

Zosta

The incubus attempted to place a suggestion in Runa's mind, but her will was too strong. I warned my friends that incubi can make such efforts whenever they desire and we must be on our guard. Then the drake spat a cloud of burning acid at us all, and I found myself growing sluggish under its temporary effect. It did not prevent me from summoning a river of wind to strike drake and rider. I was gratified that the drake's flight seemed disturbed by the blast of wind flowing against it. 


Jiro created a magic circle to protect us from the incubus's evil. Two tiny missiles flew from somewhere behind me, and despite the incubus's resistanct to magic it appeared to have take some harm from the missiles that Bohgong expended from his wand. The drake then swooped at Runa, the rider likely recognizing the symbols of Iomedae that she bears. Zero, who had vanished from sight, suddenly reappeared with his bow in hand but his arrow flew past the drake. The drake swept past us and banked for a return.

Jiro

Bohgong

I realized that a spell of haste would counteract the effect of the drake's acid and I cast it, affecting Jiro, Zero and Zosta as well as myself. Runa had manifested five wings and flown up to meet the drake and thus was too far away to benefit from my spell. Zosta used the increased speed afforded by the magic to make a prodigious leap at the drake and rider, grappling the drake's wings and forcing the creature to the ground. We all rushed it, Jiro going first to heal the wounds Runa had suffered from the drake's last attack on her. Runa then struck the incubus in the vitals and he went limp, the light of life fading from his eyes. 
Zero

Runa

Runa dealt the drake a final blow, though she expressed regret at slaying a creature of such beauty. When we were certain both rider and mount were dead, most of the hide was removed from the drake and placed in Zosta's capacious bag. Perhaps the crafters in Drezen will be able to make use of it. The incubus's lance was enchanted with the power to create a burst of lightning and he wore leather armor of good quality. Runa also took the specially made saddle used to ride the drake. 

We will rest now, and tomorrow continue with our exploration. 

No comments:

Post a Comment