Saturday, August 25, 2018

[Dungeons & Dragons 3.5] Shadows of Greatness, parts 28-33

28. New Friends and Farewells
(Arrabar, the Claws of Winter)

In the space of two days I have experienced considerable pain, sorrow, and one of the most exhilarating events of my life.

We returned from our venture at the temple much the worse for it, as I think that most of us were sorely wounded but for Phaele and Erim.  Liadan kindly extended her god's blessings to me such that I recovered from most of my injuries.  But we all were wounded in another fashion after we returned to the Bonded Sword.

We found Sandrue waiting for us in the common room.  He had not returned in time to join us at the temple, and in fact had not known where we were.  During his absence he had come to a decision to part company with us for a time.  He has in the past expressed the opinion that his talents are insufficient to our goals.  I disagree and have told him so, but he must find his own path in life.  At least for now that path does not lie with the rest of our small company.  He would not look at Phaele when he told us of this, though I am certain they must have had more heartfelt discussions of the matter than I know of. 

Erim offered up a method by which we might remain in contact with Sandrue when we leave Arrabar.  Jastra had given him two enchanted books, such that anything written in one immediately appears also in the other.  He gifted one of these to Sandrue that he might send us messages.  I think Rock would have liked to have such a thing for himself so that he might continue his many conversations with Sandrue, but Erim would not sell an object that had been given him by his mentor. 

In return, Sandrue gave to Liadan a wand he had acquired in Camber, which is made of unicorn horn and endowed with healing magic.  After receiving our good wishes he did not linger at the inn.  The rest of us went to our bedchamber with heavy hearts. 

When we rose the next morning we found that Rock had gone out without speaking to anyone.  While we ate our morning repast, we were visited by Nikos, who came to thank us for rescuing him.  He has chosen to follow the tennets of Lathander and make a new start in life, and this would likely have been impossible without our assistance.  Our regret at Sandrue's decision was alleviated somewhat by Nikos' sincere gratitude.  He also brought us much-needed information relating to Covenant and his quest.

Nikos admitted that the reason the wizard Palan had captured him had to do with his former employment as a minion of the Shade Malastori.  I know little of the Shades but that an emmissary of their kind had come to Evereska before I departed from that place, and that they have some connection to the Anauroch Desert.  Erim told us more of their history and their relationship to the ancient Netherese people whose empire fell so long ago.  Nikos no longer wishes to serve Malastori, and knows that Malastori has an interest in Covenant's activities.  He also told us that Solomon Baker, the uncle of Simon Baker to whom we were to deliver Simon's message, is a master of spies in the employ of Lord Wianar.  Malastori has an interest in Lord Wianar's activities also. 

I am certain now that we should not keep our promise to deliver Simon Baker's message.  Some of the others are still not entirely convinced, I think, but none are eager to continue that mission.  Nikos asked for our aid in seeking out Malastori.  Although he desires vengeance against the Shade for his own treatment, he also wishes to defeat Malastori's plans, which he knows to be opposed to Covenant's goals.  After considerable discussion we agreed to do what we could to assist Nikos and foil Malastori.  We also showed him the message that Simon Baker had given us.  In his opinion it does indeed refer to our absent companions, whom he has heard spoken of as the "chorus of Light". 

Nikos wanted to seek out a contact at the Generon, Lord Wianar's fortress.  He hoped this person could direct him to Malastori's location.  He sought the aid of Phaele and Liadan, as he hoped they would be less conspicuous than others of our party.  Since Rock had departed to work in his rented forge, I decided to spend the day seeking out a shrine to Corellon Larethian that I had heard of.  I wished to seek guidance from my lord, and it had been many months since I last set foot in a holy place dedicated to him.

Before I departed, Phaele was able to determine that a chain shirt and a short sword we had acquired as part of the bounty for the Whisper Knives were both enhanced by magic, though nothing of any great power.  I have gladly accepted both the armor and the sword.  Thus equipped, I set out for the Rookery, the tower of Lord Wianar's gryphon riders, who I had been told were of my kindred. 

When I arrived at the tower I rang the bell and heard a voice call out in the common tongue that I might enter.  Upon entering I found several men of my kindred there, all relaxing as soldiers do when they have no duties.  One strummed a lute, another repaired a saddle of unusual design, and two more were practicing their fencing skill with rapiers.  The fellow who worked on his saddle expressed some small surprise that another person of his own kind had come.  They told me at once that the gryphon riders needed no more men, and I replied that I only wished to avail myself of their company and their shrine.  The one with the saddle made an off-hand comment that I might be seeking Erendis.  Though my heart leapt at the sound of her name, I held my tongue, knowing that she is likely not the only woman of our people to bear that name. 

When they said that Erendis was not here, I replied that the Erendis I knew would not be here, which seemed to amuse the saddle-repairer.  He made several remarks that might have been taken as immodest were I so inclined.  They directed me to the shrine, informing me that there was no need to leave any donation.  I had intended to do so, and told them I wished that my donation be used toward the upkeep of the shrine, as Erendis would wish it.  I then went to meditate for a time within the shrine.

I regret that I felt no particular inspiration regarding my beloved's whereabouts, but my time in the shrine did give me a sense of peace.  When I emerged my kinsmen made several remarks regarding Erendis and the shrine and I knew then that we spoke of the same person.  I had known from Leonna's remarks that my wife had visited Arrabar in company with Covenant.   As our conversation continued we at last came to introductions.  Once I told them my name they knew who I was.  Evidently my wife had spoken of me.  Their demeanor grew much warmer after that point, and the fellow who had made several sly comments regarding her earlier was now most ashamed and made many apologies.  His name is Rohon.  His companions were Culin, Mahtar and Megil. 

They offered then to show me their mounts, the famed gryphons.  Such creatures are entirely unlike horses, I now realize.  As horses are in nature animals of prey, gryphons are the sort of creatures that prey upon horses.  But when Rohon offered to allow me to ride his steed, I could not refuse.  Soaring out over the city astride such a fabulous creature is an  experience I will never forget. 

I hope that Rock will return soon so that I may share my story with him.  I think he will find it amusing - though I doubt he would have taken Rohon's initial remarks with good grace.  If only Erendis were here to have ridden the gryphon at my side.  May Lord Corellon protect her wherever she is.



29. Silent Danger
(Arrabar, the Claws of Winter)

I have still not had an opportunity to share the story of my day among the gryphon-riders with my friend Rock.  I suppose it is just as well, for he does not seem greatly receptive to such a tale at present.

I rejoined my companions for the evening meal at the Bonded Sword, and as we now had our full number present save Sandrue, and Nikos was with us also, our conversation turned to the matter of our reason for coming to Arrabar:  the message from Simon Baker.  Rock had not been present for our previous discussion, and he now asked, why would Simon Baker give his message to us if his uncle meant our missing friends and family harm?  Liadan wears Covenant's emblem openly, so Simon Baker must have known she had some relation to him, and we presume that Simon Baker also knew what reason his uncle had for observing our friends. 

This had not occurred to the rest of us, and we now reconsidered our chosen course of action regarding the delivery of the message.  Rock is a dwarf of his word and he is reluctant to break his promise unless we have more definitive proof that Simon Baker's uncle is an enemy. We concluded that some of us might approach the spymaster and inform him of his nephew's condition, thereby taking the opportunity to observe him and gain some insight into his nature.  To best use this chance it will likely be Liadan, Nekaya and Phaele who will seek to meet with him, as they can better sense his motives. 

We retired to our bechamber, Nikos joining us there as we hope he will be safer in our company.  I had settled on my cot to write in my journal while my companions slept.  Suddenly I heard a scratching at the window.  When I went to investigate I was met by a most peculiar sight:  a ferret stood upon the sill, seemingly performing a dance!  When I approached the window to open it the creature darted away.   Then I realized that someone had entered the room behind me. 

I saw a shower of what appeared to be copper coins striking the floor, but they fell without sound.  I could not hear my companions' breathing nor any other sound.  Then a brilliant orb of blue-white light flew into the room and burst in an explosion of chill air that left me cold to my bones.  The cold woke my sleeping friends.  Several figures ran into the room brandishing weapons.  I saw a fellow with orcish features bearing a fearsome double axe, a woman who appeared to be of elven blood wielding a longsword and a flaming dagger, and a dwarven woman with an ordinary axe.  Someone had jammed a spike into the floor to prevent the door to the room being shut again.

Nikos sprang to his feet near me and the orcish man and elvish woman both turned their attention to him, though the woman struck at me first.  I attempted to grab her from behind but failed to hold her.  I then turned to take up my swords.  The eerily silent battle  seemed to me to pass very slowly, though I am sure that was only an effect of the lack of sound. 

All of those of my companions who are able to cast spells found that they could do little with their magics, for most of their spells require them to chant or pray.  Phaele plied one spell she knew that did not need speech.  Liadan fought the orcish man, while Nekaya faced the dwarf woman.   Erim caught up one of the cots and stood it on end in the doorway, as I later learned, to prevent a woman mage in the hallway from casting her spells into the room.

Nikos soon felled the elvish woman, though he took considerable hurt from both her and the orcish fellow.  Another assailant had slipped into the room invisibly but Rock felled him swiftly.  Nikos fortunately found that this foe had a potion of healing in his possession.  I moved up behind the orcish man to assist Liadan but I was not able to do him much injury.  Liadan slew him.  I saw Rock push past Erim into the passageway.  When her other companions were slain, the dwarf woman ran for the windows and I slashed her as she passed me.

In the hall Rock faced off with the woman mage, who bore a longspear.  Erim had run up beside Rock but was not using his sword.  I followed them out of the room, to find yet another enemy just outside the door.  Erim moved up beside me, for Rock had felled the mage with a mighty blow.  Seeing two opponents - and then three when Liadan emerged from our room - the man before me turned and fled.  Thinking that we should question him as to who had sent his party against us, I pursued him to the rear exit of the inn.

The man ran halfway down the rear steps and then leapt off into the darkened street.  I sprang down behind him, and as I ran after him I felt myself begin to move more swiftly, much as I had felt during the battle in the dark temple.  Erim had cast a spell upon me.  Under its effect I was able to catch the fleeing villain and strike him down.  Erim then came to aid me in carrying him back to the inn.

When we returned we found that all of the other assailants were dead but the dwarf woman, who had jumped from the window and attempted to flee but had been caught by Nikos and Rock.  Rock was furious that one of his people would stoop to assassination.  We were told by other patrons of the inn that the woman with the spear had carried a seal indicating that she was a licensed bounty hunter.  This seal turned out to be a forgery, verified by the city guardsmen who soon arrived.  Before they appeared Nikos questioned the dwarf woman, who told us that a Thayan called Corvus Highstaff had offered to sell them magic items at a reduced price in exchange for our deaths.   

Some of my companions recalled that this Corvus Highstaff had been an apprentice of Nethimil, the Thayan wizard we encountered when we first arrived in this part of the world.  I do not think we did much to threaten his companions during that conflict, but our mere presence in the company of Covenant appears to have made us his enemies.  It seems unlikely that he will receive any sanction for his actions, since he did not openly hire the group of "bounty hunter" to slay us, and the Thayans have a treaty with the people of Arrabar that will likely protect him from punishment.

Liadan kindly extended the new beginning of Covenant House to the dwarf woman once she has served her imprisonment for her attempt on us, but she did not appear much interested.  Once the guards had taken her away, we found that their mage had cast a spell of silence upon the copper coins I saw, which they cleverly placed in a small lead coffer so that they could release them at need and disguise which coin held the magic. We also recovered three potions of healing, which were most advantageous to us as all of us had been hurt.  Only Rock and Nikos are accustomed to sleeping in their armor.

We remained in our room to rest and recover on the following day.  Toward evening we received a visitor, sent by Nekaya's friend Siorra Farr:  the Farr family priest came to offer us some divine healing.  It was most welcome. 

I shall take an example from Rock and attempt to wear my armor during the night, though I suspect that I will not be able to rest as well while wearing it. We must set watches to protect ourselves from now on, for we do not know if Corvus Highstaff will make another attempt on our lives, and we may also be in danger by minions of the Shade Malastori. 



30. Shades of Malastori (Arrabar, the Claws of Winter)

It seems that Nikos has been fully accepted by our little company, except perhaps by Rock, who I think is most regretful of Sandrue's departure.  It has only just occurred to me that our acceptance of Nikos is most fitting, as he like the rest of us seeks a new beginning.  I had not previously thought of myself as seeking a new beginning, but it is true.

After a day of rest to recover from our injuries, we set out to pursue our various goals before approaching Solomon Baker with information about his nephew.  Nekaya went to seek an audience with the baker and has arranged a meeting two days hence.  Phaele spent her time determining what magic is carried by some of the items we have recently acquired.  To assist her in this she has also acquired a familiar, a tiny jewel-like hummingbird she calls Zahi.  It is most amusing to see her sit with the little bird perched in her flame-colored hair, like some exotic ornament.

A number of the items in our possession are not of any use to us, being things we cannot use for lack of the proper skills.  Some of these things are obviously of Thayan make.  We intend to sell the items, but those of Thayan manufacture we will keep until we can dispose of them in some other place, as we do not want to draw further the ire of the Red Wizards.

One item that came into our possession is a longsword that is capable of holding several spells.  Strangely Erim did not wish to take this sword, though it seems most suited both to his magecraft and his newer ability as a warrior.  We very nearly had to force it upon him to persuade him to accept it.  Phaele accepted a pair of magical bracers.  I have already taken the shirt of chain, and have also been given a shortsword imbued with magic.  I have also had my own longsword repaired of the damage inflicted upon it by Micah in Camber, but I find that I now use the sword my wife gave me more frequently.  I have learned in our adventures that there are many creatures that can only be harmed by weapons touched by magic, and though my elven blade is keen it cannot injure such creatures, while the Cormyrean blade Erendis gave me is well suited to such use.

After retrieving my sword from the swordsmith, I introduced Rock to my new friends among the gryphon riders.  Unfortunately they greeted him somewhat coolly, though I suppose that I should not be surprised.  They do not know Rock as I know him.  Rock has also received word from the druids he sought to contact regarding the fortress in the forest.  The druids of the Winespring Grove are aware of this place, and were evidently much pleased by Rock's diligence in telling them of what we had found there.  They rewarded him with several items of worth, including leaves that can be used to brew beneficial teas, and two acorns that will magically grow into huge oak trees when broken.  Rock is taking great care to see that these cannot be accidentally broken, as having an enormous tree suddenly burst into life where one is standing would not be a favorable event.

I later accompanied Nikos in his search for the woman Beaora, whom he believes can lead him to Malastori the Shade.  In the course of his inquiries he learned that her name is not truly Beaora, as he suspected.  She is in fact Tambra Conley, daughter of a powerful merchant.  Nikos hopes to follow her to Malastori's whereabouts, or at least to some other minion of the Shade who will know where Malastori is located. 

That evening we met once more at the Bonded Sword and took one of their more private alcoves in which to dine and discuss all that we had learned during the day.  As we talked we noticed a shadow outside the curtain.  Nekaya opened the curtain to expose the half-demon Scorch, who had come to deliver a message to Nikos.  He told Nikos that a man of whom he knew sought to meet with him.  This fellow wished to see Nikos at a place called the King's Walk in the city gardens at midnight.  We all found this time and place rather suspect.  Nikos agreed that it was likely an ambush organized by Malastori, but he intended to go in any case, hoping to get more information from his contact.  The rest of our group readily agreed to accompany him in secret, with only myself going openly at his side.

In the time before this meeting, Nikos also sought some Red Wizard of low status, with regards to the bounty hunters who attacked us.  He was able to find a man called Solven Tierclaus, an alchemist of a rather dissolute nature.  He approached this fellow at a low establishment known as the House on Scarlet Street.  There he gave the wizard a note of warning intended for Corvus Highstaff, the wizard whose encouragement led the bounty hunters to pursue our company.  I am not certain how wise this course of action is, but perhaps it will draw out this Red Wizard so that we may force him to openly show his hand.

Near midnight our party entered the public gardens and approached the area known as the King's Walk - so named for a gruesome story that Scorch had recited to us with relish at the inn.  As Nikos and I approached the pomegranate tree which lies at the center of that story,  we saw the man Nikos was to meet standing beneath the tree.  He appeared oddly gray and frightened.  As we drew nearer he seemed to grow darker and darker, though the light in the vicinity did not dim.  Suspecting some treachery, Nikos and I made to withdraw.  Then shadowy forms seemed to emerge from the man's body, taking on man-like shapes to attack us.

I have never before battled such troublesome creatures.  My blades could not find purchase on their shadowy substance.  They touched me repeatedly, and each time I felt weaker and chilled.  From behind me a bolt of lightning shot out toward the pomegranate tree.  I saw at least five of the shadow-creatures flare in brilliance before they vanished.  I could hear Liadan and Nekaya calling on the power of their gods a short distance away, for they could use their divine might to turn these shadows aside or destroy them as they would undead things.  I also caught a glimpse of a strange golden light approaching but I could not see what caused it.

I grew so weak that my swords weighed in my hands as though I were a child lifting his father's blade, and my new shirt of chain felt like a suit of plate.  When I realized I could do nothing against the shadows I turned and went toward the golden light, seeing that Phaele had also gone in that direction.  When I reached her I found her in converse with a very old man, dressed all in rags, whose empty eye sockets emitted the golden light.  He asked us if we knew the Golden One.  We thought perhaps he might mean Covenant.  Hoping that his light could somehow aid us against the shadows, we led him to where our companions still fought the creatures.  Rock had fallen to his knees from weariness.  The rest of my friends were all exhausted and panting.

The shadows fled screaming from the old man's eerie glow.  Though the golden light did not give me any feeling of comfort, I did not feel the need to flee from it.  But when the rest of our companions assembled around him, Pakkin the goblin, who had been hiding amongst the shrubbery at Nekaya's direction, suddenly screeched and fled wildly into the darkness.  Then the old man seemed to sense Nekaya's presence, and to our amazement announced that he had found the Golden One he sought.


31. Lost Gods and Golden Light (Arrabar, the Claws of Winter)

The strange old man insisted that Nekaya was indeed the Golden One he sought.  He denied that he was drawn to her merely because she bore her master's weapon, which in her master's grasp had given off a golden light rather than the silver glow it has in her hands.  Though he could not see her he was certain she was the person he had been seeking.

As we stood trembling with weariness and gaping in amazement, the strange old man began to tell Nekaya a story.  He paid no mind when she suggested that such storytelling might be done more comfortably at an inn.  He scarcely seemed aware of the rest of us.  Rock had fallen unconcscious and slumped to the ground.  Before the old man began his story, Liadan did what she could to aid my dwarven friend.  Then those of us who were most fatigued by the shadows' attack sat down upon the ground while the old man spoke.

I must confess that I was so exhausted I could hardly follow the old man's tale.  He spoke a people who had somehow been torn away from their homes, of a rift of power, a lost god, enslaved worshippers.  Some of his words had the ring of prophecy to them, reminding me of the way Jastra Moondown spoke when she divined the future of our company.  When he mentioned the name of the lost god, Elishar, I recognized it as the name of the god whose abandoned temple held the portal that had brought us to this part of the world.  The old man told Nekaya of Soldiers of Light who sought a sword of power.  He made reference to "dawn in a gloved hand" and a sword that cannot be held.  These phrases sounded very much to us like the gauntlet and sword that Covenant seeks. 

As the old man concluded his tale we saw that the brilliant glow emanating from his sightless eyes had dimmed, and that it was Nekaya who now glowed, though not so brightly.  All of us later confessed that we had felt uncomfortable in that light, but it did not affect Nekaya so.  When the old man finished speaking he turned and walked away with scarecely another word.  The gardens seemed quite dark without his light.

Now as confused as we were weary, we struggled to our feet and managed to revive Rock enough that he could stumble along with us.  Erim offered to use a spell that could bear Rock along magically, but Rock being Rock, he would not agree.  The journey back to the Bonded Sword was very long, or so it seemed to me at that time.  Before we departed from the gardens we came upon two of the gardeners, who Nekaya warned against the shadows.  They did not appear greatly surprised by her news.  That pomegranate tree has an evil reputation to accompany the story Scorch had told us.

We spent the day resting in our room under Liadan's care.  She kindly sacrificed her own rest to look after those of us who had been most seriously affected by the shadows.  Phaele went out to seek a temple of the merchant god Waukeen, where divine aid for our ills might be purchased.  She returned with a priest of Waukeen who bore a wand that could remove our weariness.  It cost us each one hundred gold pieces to receive the ministrations of the wand.  Because my friend was so weakened, I offered another hundred gold pieces so that Rock might receive a second touch of Waukeen's divine grace.  No doubt he will think he must repay me for this and I will have difficulty convincing him otherwise.  But he is my friend.

On the following day Liadan was able to pray for spells of healing from Lathander and bestowed such healing as she could provide.  I am glad to say that I had fully recovered my strength by that point.  It was a relief to no longer be so weak that I could scarcely lift my swords.  Pakkin the goblin had also returned to us none the worse for his flight into the garden that night.  I think that creature has been blessed by some god of good fortune.

Though he was still not entirely recovered from our adventure in the gardens, Rock insisted upon going to his workshop to continue his project.  The rest of our company were visited by the half-fiend Scorch during the evening.  I think that Nikos suspected his compatriot of some betrayal in the matter of the ambush, but he was convinced otherwise after a short discussion, and he and Scorch chose to seek out a tavern. 

The next day was the date on which Nekaya had arranged to meet with Master Solomon Baker.  We had already concluded that it would be best for the ladies to seek audience with the baker, as they are better skilled at observing the behavior of others.  Nikos and I intended to wait nearby.  Thanks be to Lord Corellon that nothing untoward occurred during their meeting.  When they returned to us, they told us that they had chosen to give Simon Baker's cryptic message to his uncle.  Master Baker did not reveal much to them, acting the innocent despite what Nikos has told us of his true role in Lord Wianar's court.  But he did appear to confirm that Lord Wianar seeks the items Covenant is searching for, most likely in order to improve his own power so that he may further his desire to restore the fallen Chondathan Empire.

They told us that Master Baker burned the message after he read it.  They also had been interrupted by a visit from Lord Wianar himself, who seemed to ask too many questions in my opinion, but perhaps I am learning to be too suspicious.  In any case the lord's attention was diverted.  Nekaya, not being one to dissemble, gave Master Baker the names of all our company and told him our lodging place.  We can only hope that this will not turn out ill for us.

When we returned to the Bonded Sword following this meeting, the staff there told Nekaya that a package had been delivered for her.  In it she found several velvet bags, one inside the other, and within the innermost bag lay 1,750 gold pieces, lightly dusted with what appeared to be flour. 

As always, I wish my dear Erendis were here so that she might counsel us on the best course of action.  I look forward to the day when I can tell her of these events and she will no doubt laugh at my foolishness.  I long to hear her laughter.  May Corellon Larethian protect her, and all my new friends as well.



32. Farewell to Arrabar

As the message from Simon Baker had been delivered to his uncle, it now fell to us to determine what we wished to do next.  I must confess I am somewhat uncomfortable with the sum of money Nekaya received which we assume to have come from Master Baker.  But I did not refuse a share of it when Nekaya distributed it among us.  We came into further wealth when Phaele saw to the sale of many of the other items we acquired in Camber or from our adventures in Arrabar.

Though Nikos still wishes to pursue Malastori, he has come to the conclusion that in our present state we are not sufficiently powerful to confront the Shade.  We also realize that our destination to deliver the package from Gadron lies some considerable distance from Arrabar, and it will take many weeks for us to travel there.  Hence we decided to begin our journey at once, with a slight detour to return to the ruined temple of Elishar where we first arrived in this part of the world.  Liadan in particular wishes to examine the writings there for more information.

I purchased a new bow in preparation for our journey.  Despite Nikos' trepidations I feel stronger than I have ever felt.  This new bow will permit me to make better use of this strength when I face foes better met at a distance.

I said my farewells to my new friends among the Gryphon Riders, and left a letter there in the event that Erendis should come after we have departed.  Before we prepared ourselves for travel, Rock revealed that he had completed the project he had pursued so diligently during our stay in Arrabar.  He had taken a valuable diamond that had come into his possession - I have forgotten now how it came to his hands - and had set it in a pendant so that he might sell it for a greater sum.  He shared this sum with the rest of us, taking no larger portion for himself, if he kept any at all. 

My dwarven friend has also made a gift fit for a noble lady for Liadan.  He has crafted a beautiful circlet set with precious stones in the form of Lathander's emblem.  Liadan is as lovely as any elven maiden when she wears it against her silvery hair.

Once we had equipped ourselves for long travel and said our farewells to Leonna and her friends at the House of Covenant, we set out for the ruins.  Our journey was mostly without interruption before we reached the temple.  We did observe signs that caravans were now passing along the track, and that at least one had been set upon by orcs, though it seemed that the caravaneers had survived the attack.  And on one day Liadan had a curious experience.  She thought she saw a white horse that she took to be Califax crossing our path and running into the forest.  But when Rock examined the ground he could find no sign of hoofprints.  It may be that Covenant's steed wears enchanted horseshoes that leave no trace, but it seems unlikely that if Califax wished us to follow him he would not return to encourage us further.  Perhaps her vision was only wishful thinking on Liadan's part.

As we passed among the Cloven Mountains Rock caught sight of several ogres amongst the trees and called out warning to us.  Thinking that we did not wish such large foes to come too close, Nikos and I drew our bows and fired upon them, while Liadan, Erim and Phaele rained spells at the creatures.  Rock was most disappointed when all four of the ogres fell to our attacks before he could get within range to strike with his hammer.

It seems that he will have other opportunities to battle ogres, however, for when we came upon the ruined temple we found that a whole tribe of them have settled in the place, in company with various orcs and even a giant.  We spent some little while conferring on how we should respond to this situation.  Though we had been fortunate with the ogres in the forest a few days earlier, we did not think ourselves likely to be so easily victorious with some thirty or forty ogres and their companions. 

Liadan surprised us all by suggesting that we might give up our intention of examining the ruins and go on our way.  It was she who had most wished to travel there to begin with.  Rock wished to attack the ogres boldly.  Nekaya suggested that we might seek for a secret entrance to the underground portion of the ruins and thereby avoid the notice of the ogres.  I was torn between all these plans, not wishing to risk ourselves overmuch but not being pleased with retreating, nor with hiding in secrecy.  At last we came to agree that we would seek the underground entrance, but would also attempt to waylay any ogre hunting parties that we could.  If we can reduce their number a little at a time the danger to ourselves may be lessened.  And at least if they catch sight of us, if we have found a bolt hole beneath the earth the ogres will be at a disadvantage there, we hope.



33. Return to the Cloven Mountains (The Claws of Winter)

We spent some little while discussing whether to try ambushing ogre hunting parties in order to reduce their numbers without having to face them all in battle at one time.  Pakkin was sent to search the area for a subterranean entry into the chamber we seek to examine.  How odd that the goblin is more skilled at moving about noiselessly than are any of us.

We made camp but had no fire.  Rock disguised our tracks so that the orcs and ogres would not discover us.  As darkness fell we could see two fires burning farther down the slopes, but not near enough to our campsite to threaten us.  We knew that Pakkin had returned when my sword began to glimmer.  The goblin told us that he had discovered no entry into the chamber, but he had seen a second giant in company with the orcs and ogres.  This dismayed us somewhat, for though we were able to defeat the giant called Hillfang outside of Camber, we do not flatter ourselves that we can defeat two giants while also combating a horde of orcs and a large number of ogres.

During the night, as Nekaya and I watched over our sleeping friends, we heard sounds of large creatures moving about among the trees.  Nekaya pointed several pairs of yellow eyes out to me.  Whatever approached appeared to be attempting stealth, so I woke our companions and warned them of possible danger.  When the creatures drew near enough that we could identify them as very large wolves, Nekaya unsheathed her hakra and bathed out camp in its silvery light.  Liadan rose and cast a beam of brilliant light at the wolves.  One of the beasts then charged at her as she stood near Rock.  Its' packmates began to circle toward our horses.

I drew my bow and fired upon one of the wolves as it attempted to attack our mounts.  I heard another wolf yelp when Rock struck it with his hammer, the hammer's light adding to the silver glow from Nekaya's weapon.  A wolf slipped past our guard and sprang upon Erim's steed.  The beast was as large as the horse and bore it to the ground.  I drew my blades and struck the wolf before me, while from the corner of my eye I saw Erim send a shimmering array of colorful beams at the wolf that attacked his steed.

Rock rushed forward.  Erim brought his sword to bear, and suddenly the beast toppled, nearly falling upon me.  We had slain four of the huge wolves.  Erim's horse was badly injured and thrashing upon the ground.  I calmed it as Nekaya and Liadan came forward to offer the healing energies of their gods.  In the distance we heard the howling of other wolves, but they did not come near.  We determined to move our camp away from the carcasses of the wolves and settled down to rest once more.

On the following morning Rock crept out and saw some creatures moving about at the site where we had first camped.  He observed a party of five ogres and ten orcs examining that area.  Nikos roused everyone who was still sleeping and we prepared ourselves for further trouble.  In a short while the orcs and ogres approached our campsite. We had taken cover behind large boulders and we now began to fire upon them with our bows and the mages' spells.

Erim caused two of the nearest orcs to fall to the ground in a deep slumber.  Their companion called an alarm to his compatriots.  They began to move rapidly toward our hiding place.  Nikos fired upon one ogre, as did I, and it fell.  Liadan attempted to blast one of the creatures with light as she had done the wolf, but her divine magics failed to strike the target.  Nekaya moved out beyond the rocks and an orc rushed her.  After that point I was too intent upon my targets to notice what occurred to my right, where Nekaya, Phaele and Nikos stood.  And Rock had gone to the side to meet the orcs from another direction and could not be seen at all from my vantage.

A huge bull orc had appeared from farther back in the company.  Liadan flung a burst of brilliant sunlight at him and caused both the bull and one of the orcs with him to lose their sight.  This did not stop the bull ogre from rushing toward the sound of Nekaya's struggle with more of his orcish companions.  I left my bow, and drawing my blades stepped out to go to Nekaya's aid.  Erim also approached the bull orc, sword in hand.  I made the mistake of stepping too near, thinking that the blinded ogre would not be able to strike me, but his great club struck me a heavy blow.  After that I made it my strategem to move about so that he could not identify my location as easily.

Though Nekaya, Erim and I all attacked the huge bull ogre with our blades, he was not easy to slay.  When at last he fell he toppled onto Nekaya, nearly crushing her.  Nikos ran forward to help us remove the huge corpse.  Rock and Liadan had slain the other orcs, with a little aid from Pakkin, who seemed inordinately proud of himself.  Unfortunately Rock told us that he saw signs an orc had managed to escape.

Once Nekaya had produced one of the wands she purchased in Arrabar and employed it to heal our wounds, Phaele suggested a new strategy for destroying the interlopers.  Several paths lead down from the terraces on which the ruined temple lies, and she proposes that we attempt an ambush along one of these, where the orcs and ogres would be forced to move through a narrow area or slow down while crossing rougher ground.  It seems a wise tactic to my mind.  I relish the thought of removing these creatures from the temple environs.  May Lord Corellon bless our endeavor.  As always, I would that my dear Erendis were here.


No comments:

Post a Comment