Thursday, August 23, 2018

[Dungeons & Dragons 3.5] Shadows of Greatness, parts 13-16

13. The Ambush

As we took our rest in the barn, we examined the items we had taken from the bodies of the slain orcs.  In addition to a small sum of coin, Erim found that one orc wore a finely crafted pendant, which Rock determined was made of white gold.  The pendant carried a symbol of two clawed white hands with thumbs interlocked.  Those who know more of Faerun’s religions than I identified this as the emblem of Yurtrus, an orcish deity of disease and death.    The amulet is magical according to our mages, but they did not have time to determine the nature of the magic.  Nekaya avers that the amulet is not evil.

We formulated a plan for our encounter with the giant Hillfang.  Sandrue wisely suggested that we eliminate his giant dogs first so that they would not make battling Hillfang more difficult.  We agreed that I would act as a decoy to lead the dogs away from their master and into an ambush prepared by my companions.  At about midmorning we set out in the direction the orcs had indicated the giant was traveling.  The weather had cleared and the snow glared brilliantly in the sunlight.  Near midday Billy Turner returned from scouting to tell us that he had found something we should all see.  From a ridge we looked down to see the giant and his companions some distance off.  Their path would lead them to cross a wagon road leading from Camber.  We decided to prepare our ambush by having me wait on the wagon road. 

While the others set up their position some distance off, Aratan and I waited on the road.  I could hear the giant chuckling in a deep rumbling tone as he neared, and a good deal of crashing.  Then a large tree limb hurtled past me.  The two giant dogs, which resembled wolves more than dogs to my eyes, burst from the forest in pursuit of the tree branch.  One of the large canines observed me at once but the other appeared more interested in the tree branch until it noticed what its companion was looking at.  The first beast lunged at Aratan and I spurred him to the fastest gallop he could achieve in the deep snow.  The chase was on.

Aratan was as swift as the wind despite the snow.  We maintained a satisfactory lead on the two canines, enough to prevent them from catching us but not so far ahead that they might lose interest in the chase.  When we came to the location that my companions had chosen they began to fire upon the dogs with crossbows.  As I turned Aratan to join the fight, Liadan emerged from her hiding place and one of the dogs sprang upon her.  It bore her to the ground, but she was able to rise again before I could reach her.  I could not see much of what happened with the rest of my friends, though I caught a glimpse of Rock facing the second dog.  The first animal knocked Liadan off her feet again.  A few well-placed blows eliminated him.  The second dog was also quickly dispatched.  Liadan was somewhat injured but not seriously.  We employed potions to heal those who were hurt so they could be at their best to face the giant. 

We decided to remain in position and wait for the giant to come seeking his dogs.  We buried the dogs in snowdrifts and swept away some of the evidence of the fight, but not before Rock asked me to cut off the head of one of the dogs.  Then we all assumed positions under cover.  We could hear the giant speaking with his two orc companions as he drew near our hiding place.  As they approached it seemed that they grew suspicious, for the two orcs turned off the path and moved among the trees.  Rock then flung the severed dog’s head out into the giant’s view and stepped out to face our largest foe.  Though I would have liked to ride straight at the giant to aid my friend, I chose to attack the orc that was nearest to my position.

My arrows did not much trouble the orc.  As I steered Aratan closer to my enemy I could hear Rock bellowing at Hillfang, and whistling sounds that I think were Erim’s magical missiles being flung at the giant.  But the trees blocked my view of much of the combat.  The orc I faced moved away to aid the giant against Rock, so I turned my attention to the giant, though I could not find the proper angle to make my bowshots strike true.  It seemed that the spells Sandrue, Erim and Phaele had carefully prepared were most effective, however, for the giant suddenly toppled into the snow.  I made certain that he would not rise again.  His two orcish compatriots were also slain.  To our great satisfaction, we had succeeded in defeating the giant with relatively little harm to ourselves.

Neither the giant nor the two orcs carried any missives or maps containing useful information.  We found a wounded fox in a sack slung over the giant’s back.  Liadan put it out of its misery.  Among the detritus the giant carried Rock found a silver tankard set with jade.  It was damaged but he intends to repair it.  Though it was difficult, we removed the giant’s head, both to serve as evidence of our success and to display for the benefit of the giant’s orcish comrades.  Before departing from the battle site we uncovered the corpses of the giant canines for the orc army to discover.

We were greeted with enthusiasm on our return to Camber.  Though we learned that Hillfang’s head is not the only giant skull within the walls of the town, we are nonetheless proud of our accomplishment.  The severed head makes an impressive sight above the main gate.  No doubt my Erendis would be amused by my pride, for she has certainly encountered much more impressive foes.  I look forward to hearing her tale of her experience with the abyssal dragon when next I see her.



14. The Siege

We did not have much time to bask in the pleasure of our accomplishment.  Reports from the scouts indicated that the army was very near.  After a few hours of rest we prepared ourselves for battle.  During our rest period Erim and Sandrue examined a black iron rod found among the giant’s possessions.  It had a sort of button at one end which they presumed was intended to activate some magical feature of the rod.  As a precaution Rock took the rod outside before pressing the button.  Once the button was depressed the rod became immobile in midair.  Rock and Sandrue found this quite exciting and began proposing various uses for the rod as a weapon or aid to combat.  Rock even suggested sitting upon the rod to rest during battle!

The orc army arrived during darkness, naturally.  They did not show much evidence of good tactics, surging against the walls in small groups as they reached the town.  Though their attacks were poorly planned they were effective in that the defenders had no time to rest between waves.  I could not see much of what befell my companions, being too occupied with defending my own section of the wall.  The palisade around Camber is little more than three times my height and made of logs, and the orc corpses piling at the foot of the wall soon began to provide a means for their fellows to climb up and try to pass over the wall.  The other giants among Micah’s forces also caused considerable difficulty, as they were able to reach up to the top of the wall and snatch down unwary defenders.

I heard reports that the wall was breached in several places as the night wore on.  At one point not far from my position, the wall fell to a giant.  Rock leapt down from the wall and faced the creature.  I fired as many arrows at it as I could to aid my friend.  Fortunately the wizard Master Sonnohm was able to repair the broken section of wall with a spell.  Rock was barely able to get back inside before the new stone section appeared.

At one point in the night I heard that Erim had fallen, but it seems that he was saved from death by the intervention of Liadan or the priestess of Chauntea.  I am relieved that I need not mourn a fallen companion yet, particularly one of my own people who is so young and full of promise.  To my knowledge none other of my friends has been so near to the end of life, though all of us were hurt in the battle.  Rock has been able to withstand numerous wounds that would have been grievous to one not of dwarvenkind.  So many arrows pierced his armor that he resembled a hedgehog.

When full light came the orcs retreated from their assault.  Much to our surprise, they vanished entirely from the immediate area of the town.  We could only presume that they had gone to forage for food.  We had observed during the fight that many of them seemed in poor condition, which may have accounted for their reckless behavior in attacking the walls.  My companions and I rejoined one another and formed a plan to make an attack upon Micah.  As we had seen in previous encounter, he kept a bodyguard of ogres, but we hoped that a stealthy attack might give us an advantage.  There was no guarantee that the orcs would be greatly troubled by his death, but based upon their behavior during the night we suspected that the loss of their leader would send them into confusion.

In the evening we disguised ourselves in orcish garb taken from the bodies of the slain, and crept out through one of the breaches in the wall.  Much to our disappointment – particularly Sandrue, who took it almost as a betrayal – Rock elected not to accompany us.  I hope that he has some plan he has not had the opportunity to share with us.  We worked our way around the town to the south side where the gate lies and hid among the trees.  But before we could begin making our way toward the orc camp where we believed Micah could be found, a group of orcs and ogres approached the gate, bearing a flag of truce.  We observed a Man walking among the ogres.  We watched in confusion from our hiding place as the Man spoke with the mayor of the town for a short while, then he and his company of orcs and ogres were admitted to Camber.

The all-clear signal we had agreed upon went up at once, but we were reluctant to simply stroll back inside through the gate, though we could see that it had been left ajar.  As we made our way back to the place where we had exited the wall, we carried on a hushed discussion of what our next actions should be.  I had been rereading my journal entries during our rest the night before, and it had brought to my attention the fact that Covenant sought a single gauntlet.  I thought it odd that another solo gauntlet should appear so near to where Covenant sought his goal, and I mentioned this to my companions.  Sandrue thinks it unlikely that there is any relationship between Micah’s blue gauntlet and the Gauntlet of Dawn that Covenant seeks to acquire, and I agree with him for the most part.  I wish that we knew what power Micah’s gauntlet possesses. 



15. The Gauntlet

After we reentered the town we were told that negotiations were taking place at the First Gate Inn.  We made our way there as quickly as we could.  We were able to observe Micah's party ahead of us and see how many orcs and ogres were in his company.  At least two of the orcs appeared to be magic-wielders.  There were three ogres with him.  We had heard that his gauntlet gave him great strength, which caused me to wonder why he had need of the ogres.

By the time we made certain that the gate had been closed and approached the inn, Micah's party had already been within for a short while.  A guard at the door told us no one was else was to be admitted on the mayor's orders, but Sandrue cleverly persuaded him to permit us entry.  As we set foot inside it appeared that Micah had already stated his demands, but he called out to us that he wished no spellcasting to occur.  Though Erim had feared we would not be welcome, the mayor seemed relieved by our appearance.  We spread ourselves out and Rock began to converse with Sandrue in a low voice, telling him what had occurred before our arrival.  Micah was evidently curious about our presence.  He recognized Phaele and Sandrue as natives of Halruua, and spoke in the tones of an educated man.  I cannot imagine what his purpose was in commanding the orcs.

I observed that Micah's gauntlet was indeed blue as we had been told.  It appeared to be made of a blue metal rather than painted or enameled.  On the back of the hand was a white symbol resembling a horseshoe.  According to those with more knowledge of history than I, this was the symbol of some great general of the past who gained infamy for betraying his own army.  We had wondered if this might be Micah's intention as well.  But that will not persuade us to forgive him for the death and destruction he has caused.

One of the orcs with Micah spoke up and made threats at the townsfolk.  Micah chastised him.  Then to my surprise Micah shouted out, "Kill him!", seeming to direct this command not at the orcs but at us.  The orcs did not react well to this.  One of the ogres nearest to Micah moved to attack him.  My attention was caught by another ogre moving on one of the town militiamen.  Liadan and I stepped forward to oppose the ogre, as there were also wounded townsfolk in nearby alcoves. 

The ogre proved a difficult opponent.  He badly wounded Liadan and myself and was difficult for me to harm.  I had little awareness of what went on around me.  I heard Commander Puffleweis whistle at one point, and caught a glimpse of the power of the gauntlet when Micah used it to fling some magic at someone behind me.  When at last Liadan slew the ogre I turned to oppose an orc who was already engaged against Nekaya, Rock and Commander Puffleweis.  Rock brought down this foe.  Once all the orcs and ogres in the common room had fallen, Phaele and I volunteered to go out to check the gate.  We feared that some of Micah's party might have fled to open the way for the army. 

As we departed the inn I caught sight of Micah fleeing.  I gave chase, fearing that if he reached the gate he might admit his compatriots, or return to the army and command them to attack at once.  Despite the snow he was able to outpace me.  At one point I struck at him with my longsword and he deflected the blow with his gauntlet.  It left a terrible gouge in my blade.  When we reached the top of the wall Micah simply flung himself off into the snow.  I drew my bow and fired on him, as did several of the archers on the wall.  We struck him, but he was not injured enough to fall.  He vanished into the darkness. 

Much to our relief the orcs did not return to swarm the walls.  One of their shamans had escaped from the town, reportedly by transforming herself into a crow.  By all appearances she must have warned the other orcs of Micah's betrayal.    Within a few days the orc army appeared to have dissipated as the starving orcs either fought with one another or left the area to seek food. 

Though we have succeeded in preserving Camber, it is not by our own strength of arms.  Sandrue seems despondent over the turn of affairs and takes little pleasure in the survival of the townsfolk.  Rock has moved his sleeping quarters to the town militia barracks and speaks to no one.  I am uncertain why my friends are so disturbed.  Perhaps it is because the preparations for battle took our minds off our concerns for our absent companions.  I dearly desire to be with my beloved Erendis again and hear her thoughts on such matters.



16. Interlude

As the snows of winter fade from this land, I begin to think of Evereska, wishing for the grand trees and gentle lights of my home.  But I know that I would not feel at home there without my Erendis by my side.  Now that I have tasted some small measure of what her life in the world beyond Evereska is like, I am not certain I could ever be content there.

My heart is dark with foreboding now.  Perhaps the dour moods of my friends are to blame.  I have spoken with Rock, but he is not yet willing to share his thoughts with me. 

Liaden called upon all of us to meet with her at the South Gate Inn a few days ago.  She asked us to make a pact with her to seek out our absent companions wherever they may be.  She is still convinced that Covenant is no more.  I was at once willing to join her in this venture, but some of the others were not so eager.  I had forgotten that Sandrue and Phaele had only traveled with Havin Wayfinder for a short time before meeting the rest of our group, and hence do not have the depth of feeling for him that Liaden has for Covenant.  Erim, too, has no great attachment to Jastra Moondown, and would likely be just as pleased to return to Evermeet and his studies there, though he did not say as much. 

Rock would make no commitment, announcing that he would give his answer in three days time.  Liaden was much disappointed by this response, I think.  Sandrue and Phaele have indicated that they may wish to travel to Arrabar and possibly from there seek passage back to their native land of Halruua.  Sandrue is having great difficulty adjusting to the ways of people other than his own.  Before I parted from them to speak with Rock, I remarked to Sandrue that if he is so unhappy in the company of those who do not know Halruuan ways, then it is unlikely he will ever be happy anywhere other than his homeland.  I hope he did not take this as an insult.  I too find the ways of the people I have met strange, even Erim's ways and he is of my own kindred, but I will seek a way to live among them despite their strangeness.

Rock and I have spoken regarding his troubles.  It seems that he sees the affairs surrounding Micah's entry into the town much differently than the rest of our companions.  He is convinced that the orcs did not return for a concerted assault because Micah somehow persuaded them not to do so.  The rest of our friends - myself included - had assumed that Micah merely fled, and that when the orc shamaness advised her folk of his betrayal the orcs became divided amongst themselves and lost their will to fight.  I still do not believe that treating with Micah would have been wise, but perhaps if affairs had followed a different path we might have been able to eliminate the orcs of this region altogether, and spare Camber from future depredations.  I do not regret what might have been.  Rock takes a different view.


No comments:

Post a Comment